Monday, March 12, 2012

Eternal Blessings

I just LOVE being a missionary! This week truly was such a joy as I was able to accompany the Peng family to the Temple for their sealing. Oh my goodness, what an incredible blessing!! I wrote a note to them especially thanking Sister Peng for all her love and service. It was the hardest time during my mission when I was serving in that area, but every time I met with them I had a different feeling, a glimpse of hope and joy. They were one of the families that made me want to push through all the toughest times, and it was all worth it! I remember watching Sister Peng in the sealing room as the sealer was giving them counsel and she was just nodding her head, taking it all very seriously. I could just see in her eyes her bright desire to establish a celestial home, and to have that tradition carry on throughout their posterity. I can't wait until their second baby comes, and when they both grow up and serve missions and have their own righteous families! Ah!! This gospel is so amazing, and it blesses families more than anything else can!
Another joy of the week was being able to teach so many wonderful investigators. I just love them so much, and they're progressing a ton! The Liang family, a member family's referral (Wu family), has been loving praying daily as a family and studying the scriptures sometimes with their neighbors, the Wu family. They also committed to live the Word of Wisdom. We had no idea Sister Liang has a smoking problem, but it was so tender to see her daughters' reactions as they said they'd help her quit. After the lesson I felt the need to give her a little more encouragement so as my dear companion was racing with the kids I shared a scripture with Sister Liang (2 Nephi 32:9) to help her know that she could overcome this temptation through prayer. She found hope in that and said she'd pray for the help! As Sister Watterson and I were saying goodbye to the Wu and Liang families to go home for the night I took each of the daughters individually into a hug, looked into their eyes and asked if they'd be willing to pray for their mom, and each of them said yes. That was also a tender moment, and I'm so grateful for their faith!
We also had an incredible member missionary work fireside last night for our ward. It's so crazy because the work has been exploding here! I remember when I got called with Sister Chu to open this area for sisters President Bishop gave me the mandate to help split the ward so they could get a new chapel (we're in a "da lou" right now). The ward has been growing since then, but I seriously can't believe the blessings that have come over the last 2 weeks as we've had an outpouring of member referrals and awesome investigators. Sister Watterson and I have a lot of work to do, as well as the 2 other sets of Elders that serve in this ward as well! President Bishop is such a visionary man to send so many missionaries here.
The fireside last night was so inspiring. There was a panel of ward members who had either been referrals themselves or who had provided referrals that became members of their ward. I was soooo touched by their stories and was given so much courage to keep working hard as a missionary, and then to be more like them when I go home and keep doing missionary work for the rest of my life! It was really special because He Jiemei (who just got baptized a month ago) and her daughter were on the panel, so I got to hear all the "inside" stories of how they felt throughout the conversion process. I just can't believe the Lord's work in each of their lives to prepare them, and then to send us Sisters to this ward just at the right time! I love them both so much, and they're both so faithful! Another one of my favorite parts was hearing Zhuang Jiemei's testimony. She's what we call the "Sister Missionaries' Best Friend" because she is willing to go with us to teach whenever we need someone, and she loves to provide referrals! Seriously, about 1/2 of the GangShan ward are her referrals! She shared her testimony about how we shouldn't be afraid to invite people to learn more because even though she's been turned down several times (and the member sitting right next to her on the panel had rejected her invitations for about a year!), she had still experienced a lot of joy because many of the people she invited DID accept the gospel! She said the first person she ever invited rejected her (and has for the past 7 years) and if she had become discouraged from that and got afraid to ever invite anyone again, she would have missed all the opportunities to help so many people--so we can't and must not get discouraged even when our first try turns us down! People will listen if we keep inviting. President Chen, the Second Counselor to President Bishop also came and spoke. She gave us sister missionaries a special assignment to sit down with Zhuang Jiemei and make a "family tree" of all the people she's helped to baptize and the people those people have brought into the church, and that he'd include it in the Liahona! It's going to be so amazing to put all of her missionary efforts into a visual, and it's true, the fruits of her labors have been great!!! AHHHall! We're actually working with one of Zhuang Jiemei's referral's referral. That's a special treat for us. Anyway, the members here are so amazing! A few came up to me afterwards and said they had a some people on their minds and they were excited to go home and act on the promptings they received. I was so touched by their faith, and the whole fireside just got me so pumped up to keep helping this ward! They're all such amazing members!
OK, so I could go on and on with how much fun we're having, how many miracles we're seeing and how much faith we get to witness... but the email time limit doesn't allow! Just know that this work is so amazing, especially to see the effects of your labors beyond the baptism. This gospel truly brings eternal blessings to all those who live and share it. Families can be sealed together forever. We can help our friends and family members receive the same eternal blessings we've received in our lives, which in turn brings even greater joy! "Behold, the worth of souls is great in the sight of God... And if ye should labor all your days and bring save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy in the Kingdom of my Father!" If that's not real happiness, I don't know what is :) The gospel is real. The gospel is true! I love it with all my heart, and I'm going to work hard the rest of my life to help others be as happy as me through the gospel :)
I love each of you so much, Mom, Dad, Adam, Jake and Jordan. Just remember the importance of these things! Oh, I can't wait till I can share more of the blessings and miracles with you when I get home. But for now, just know that I love you with all my heart, and that I know that nothing but the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ can bring true, lasting, eternal happiness.
All my love,
Sister Morey <3

No comments:

Post a Comment