Monday, November 8, 2010

Big News!!!

So I have some big news! This week the district got travel plans to Taiwan! ...Well, everyone except for me (and the other sister that came at the same time as me). We went to the travel office to find out what the deal was and they said our visas haven't been completed in time so we'll be temporarily reassigned somewere in the US or Canada until they're ready to go. Crazy, huh? I was disappointed at first, especially since I had my heart set on that extra transfer in Taiwan, but the Lord has really blessed me to overcome that disappointment and be really excited to serve wherever I'll be temporarily. It's like getting a mission call all over again! I don't find out where I'm going till Wednesday or Thursday. I'm really excited about it all except for one thing... I have no idea what weather to expect! I might have to do some scrambling... I'll just have to see!
It was a really interesting week because of this new development. The day we found out was hard. But the Lord always helps us overcome our trials if we turn to Him. The lesson we had in class that day (and my visa situation was completely unbeknown to our substitute) was on humility. We read Alma 5 with each of us thinking "What do I need to do to be more humble?" Verse 13 stood out to me because I really needed to have more humility by having trust in the Lord. It was really tempting for me to think at first that Heavenly Father had forgotten about my visa, or that something had gone wrong, but I felt powerfully through that verse that Heavenly Father knew EXACTLY what was going on and that I simply needed to put my will aside and trust that He knows what He's doing. Since then I have felt a lot more peace, excitement, and hope that the Lord will use me in specific ways that he needs me and is using this time to tutor me and prepare me for things that will happen later.
My companion Sister Demordaunt said something that also really stuck out to me. Whenever we have trials it's all about how fast we will turn ourselves over to the Lord and say, "what do I need to learn from this?" The faster we show patience, faith and submission to whatever trials we have, the quicker He will lift our burdens, or at least make them light enough to bear. The story of Alma and his people when they were trying to escape from brondage really stuck out to my mind (Mosiah 24, especially verse 16--read it!). I decided that this would be a miserable experience for me if I kept resisting and wondering why this was even happening to me, so instead I've chosen to make the best of this unexpected circumstance and change my heart. As I've sought to do that the Lord has truly made this "trial" easy to bear, and I can honestly say I'm excited!
I love the Lord and that I know I can overcome any trial, obstacle, weakness or guilt through His Atonement. The test is simply how long it takes to turn to Him for that relief. I testify of that. I know it's true because I've seen His hand in miraculous ways in my life as I've turned to Him for help, no matter how big or small the problem, no matter how "temporal" or spiritual the matter. He helps with everything, and I love Him for that.
I love you, Mom, Dad, Adam, Jake and Jordan. I pray for you often and miss you. I'm loving your letters! Keep writing, and know that I love you with all my heart :)
Love,
Amie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment