Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy Easter!





It's weird to be writing again already since we had preparation day on Wednesday last week, instead of Monday! But I'm grateful that I only have 1/2 a week to write about now so I can write a little more about it :)

I'm so happy to hear that you got to enjoy a wonderful Easter Sunday, especially with family. I enjoyed sharing the Easter M&Ms you sent (I shared the peeps on the bus to the Temple since I knew there would be some missionaries that would LOVE them!).Our Easter was nice, especially since President and Sister Bishop came to speak in one of our wards! I was lucky because it was my turn to visit that ward this week (we have two that Sister Ko and I alternate between). I loved hearing their message about what the Resurrection has to do with missionary work.

President Bishop shared a particular story that touched me. As a doctor, he once had a patient who had an extreme illness and would most likely have not muh longer to live, yet whenever her husband and little son came to visit they would play games and were always laughing. The nurse told President Bishop he should probably make sure the husband understood the severity of his wife's condition, because it didn't seem like he was aware. Even though they had told him before, he decided to pull him aside and tell him again. The husband responded with faith as he said, "I might not understand everything about my wife's condition, but I do know that it is severe. I know she won't have much more time, but our family has been sealed in the Temple. We know we will be able to see her again." That assurance took the sting out of death for this family, and because of their faith, they were blessed with peace and happiness, even (and especially) during the final moments of that mother's life on Earth.

That story gave me a lot of peace and comfort as well. What an incredible expression of faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ and His atonement. And how important it is to "make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth!" That is my calling as a missionary! Sometimes that responsibility seems overwhelming to me and I feel terribly inadequate to represent the Savior in doing His work. But that is a blessing, for the Lord gives us weaknesses that we may be humble.

I thought last Sunday as we were participating in Ward Council, "Man, it would be so much easier if we didn't have to worry about all these less-active members--if only everyone would just stay active!" But then the thought came to me, "Then you would not have the opportunity to help save them." Working for the salvation of others (whether living or dead) is a refining work. That was the mission of the Savior himself, and He set the perfect pattern and example.

Therefore, the only way to do this work is to become like Him--develop His attributes. Any other way is in vain. But as we turn to the Savior and learn from His example, we will be able to take part in the most sacred work our Heavenly Father has given us, and in the process, we become refined.

What a blessing to reflect on the Savior and His Atonement, which makes our salvation possible, during this Easter season. I testify that Jesus is the Christ, that He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that He sacrificed Himself completely so we could be saved. I know that He loves me, you, and all of us. May we all turn more to Him to recieve of His love and mercy which He is so willing to give.

Love and HAPPY EASTER!!!

Sister Morey

No comments:

Post a Comment