Monday, June 6, 2011

Awesome Week as a Missionary!




Today was sooo crazy cuz we went on a fun island adventure with the district and some other members, and we got back super late so we don't get much time to email :( But it was SOOOO much fun! We went on a bike ride around the entire island stopping at a few sites (a cave, the beach, and the coral seashore) and really enjoyed the gorgeous scenery! Sister Brownell and I were also so excited to see mangoes there that we got mango slushees (and friend rice) for lunch and mango bings for dinner! Yummmmm :) The machine they used to make the bings was almost exactlythe same one that we had, so it was fun to remember all the fun times we had as a family and with friends eating bings :) I loved the adventure today!

This week was SO awesome. We had a lot of miracles happen and things just keep getting better and better. The first miracle of the week was on Tuesday night after we had a lesson at the church. As we left the building right after the Elders we made sure to turn off the lights inside and lock the door, but when we started riding away the Elders reminded us (from outside the gate cuz they had already left) that we needed to turn off the lights in the parking lot. So we turned back, turned off the lights, and decided to make a final round to see if there were any other lights that needed to be turned off. As we passed the front door of the chapel we heard the phone ringing inside, so we quickly parked our bikes, found the keys, unlocked the door and ran inside to answer it. When I heard the voice on the other side say with excitement "Moraaaaay!!!" I was shocked beyond belief! I instantly recognized her as Anne, the one that I had contacted about 2 months ago in my last area who was completely golden but unexpectedly disappeared the day after her baptismal interview--the day before I left the area. She was calling to tell me that she got baptized!! Sister Ko had told me that soon after I left she went with her trainee to go find her, and Anne said that she was so touched by that, that she decided to get baptized! Oh my goodness, it was one of the happiest moments of my mission, and to think that I would've missed it if we hadn't have turned back to switch off the lights. That was such an incredible tender mercy.

Another miracle was that since Sister Brownell and I are both really new to the area (I'm only 2 1/2 weeks ahead of her here) we've been spending a lot of time getting to know our way around (including getting lost lots...), but one day as we were trying to find a recent convert's house we saw a woman sitting on the side of the road and she kinda looked like there was nothing for her to do. She had her head in her hands and I felt like we should stop and talk to her. We found out that she didn't have any work, and didn't really know what to do with herself. We parked our bikes and sat on the side of the raod with her. As we got talking, we found out she believed in "yi guang dao" which means she believed in all 5 of the major religions mixed together. She seemed really set in her beliefs and said Jesus Christ was just the same as the other great leaders of the other religions, until I felt impressed to get out the book of Mormon from the back of my bike and read about Jesus Christ in Alma 7. She went quiet, and we taught her a little more, after which she said, "Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me why there are so many religions. Shouldn't there be just one?" Sister Brownell took the opportunity to testify of Joseph Smith, and after I added my testimony to hers, Yang jiemei asked, "Where is your church?" Sister Brownell and I were super excited, and she said she would read the Book of Mormon and come to church on Sunday. It was one of the most incredible teaching moments I've had on my mission, and I was so grateful I listened to the quiet thought to talk to the lady on the side of the road. What makes it even cooler was that her last name (Yang) was the same as the recent convert we were trying to find. ;)

Some other miracles of the week that I don't have time to tell in detail are:

  • Our investigator Liu JiaCi siad she was willing to pay her tithing and passed her baptismal interview. She'll be getting baptized this Saturday!
  • Another investigator, Zhuang jiemei, said that she wanted to work towards baptism after attending a baptismal service for one of the Elders' investigators. She wasn't quite sure before, especially because she works on Sunday, but she's willing to start finding a way to come to church :)
Ahhhh! I just LOVE being a missionary! And especially with Sister Brownell. I love her so much, and we get along so well. We have a lot to relate with each other, which has been such a blessing, and I feel like I can turn to her for anything. I'm so grateful that I get this opportunity to work with her, and that the Lord is helping us find and help those who are willing to follow the Lord. I know the gospel is true with all my heart!

All my love,
Sister Morey

No comments:

Post a Comment